Monday, March 23, 2009

Why I believe in evolution

I believe in evolution for the same reason I believe in the germ theory of disease or that atoms are made of electrons, protons, and neutrons; it's basic science.  

Like all basic science there are reams of direct evidence for evolution.  One of the beautiful things about science is that I don't have to rely on an authority figure to tell me "There's plenty of evidence."  I can verify the evidence and reasoning myself.  I can start by picking up a textbook or two and learning the basics.  I can go to museums and see some of the evidence for myself.  I can read about current experiments in the popular press that rely on that basic science.  I can make my own observations and if I'm ambitious I can do my own experiments.

For example, there's a local weed that grows short in neighborhoods but long in the park.  If I mow my front and back yard to different heights (change the selective pressure), will that weed respond?    

The Texas school board is voting on whether to change the biology curriculum to cast doubt on evolution.  This kind of nonsense frustrates me.  

I am sad that scientists and science educators have to spend so much time trying to explain basic science to people who perceive controversy, gaps, or weakness in it.  I am sad that because of the way the textbook market works changes in a religious, anti-intellectual state like Texas can effect science classes in the rest of the country.  I am irritated that members of a school board either know so little science or choose to believe so little science that this change has a chance of passing.  I am irritated that a religious agenda* is interfering with public schools.

*Religion is the only reason to be actively against evolution while ignoring quarks, F=ma, and cholesterol.  

Mostly I am sad and irritated that a group of grownups who are ignorant about science are trying to keep the next generation ignorant about science.

No comments: